MAINE COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT ASSOCIATION
GENERAL MEMBERSHIP MEETING MINUTES
FRIDAY, JANUARY 30, 2004
The Maine Community Development Association and the Maine Association of Planners held a joint meeting to review the implementation of the Tax Increment Financing (TIF) program. Jim Nimon from DECD and Noreen Copp from Eaton Peabody Consulting Group presented information on the municipal TIF program. Mike Martin from the Maine State Housing Authority presented The New Affordable Housing TIF Program. Anyone interested in learning more about the Housing TIF Program may contact MSHA or visit the legislative website regarding L.D. 858 – An Act to Establish a Municipal Affordable Housing Development District Tax Increment Financing Program.
Following the TIF presentation, a meeting of the MCDA General Membership was held at 59 State House Station, Conference Room #107 in Augusta on Friday, January 30, 2004 at approximately 12:00 noon. Attendees were:
Mathew Eddy Ron Harriman
Isaac Wagner Al Smith
Joella R. McBreairty Peter Lyford
1. MEETING CALLED TO ORDER: President Mathew Eddy called the meeting to order at approximately 12:00 noon.
2. TREASURER’S REPORT: Ron Harriman distributed a copy of the Monthly Budget report from 12/1/03 to 1/28/04. Revenues received in December total $903.45 and expenditures total $305.07; revenues received in January total $150.00 and expenditures $104.95 leaving an overall balance to date of $13,750.16. A copy of this report is attached and made a part of the meeting minutes. Al Smith moved to accept the Treasurer’s Report as submitted; seconded by Peter Lyford. The motion was unanimously approved.
3. MEETING MINUTES OF DECEMBER 4, 2003: Ron Harriman made a motion to accept the meeting minutes as presented; seconded by Peter Lyford and the vote was unanimously in favor.
4. REVIEW OF STRATEGIC PLAN:
A. Communications: Joella presented a draft copy of the funding directory. A discussion on how MMA could assist MCDA in distributing the funding directory ensued. There are various distribution methods; such as making the directory available to members on-line and/or printing the directory in a pdf file that is write-protected. Reformatting the directory so that a link in the Table of Contents could connect a user directly to the program of interest is a way of making the directory more user-friendly. The funding directory could be sold to non-members allowing MCDA to collect revenues from the sale of CDs. Mathew Eddy has a scheduled meeting with MMA directly following this meeting and he will discuss these thoughts with them.
B. Finance: The Finance Committee is made up of Ron Harriman and the Executive Committee. One of the goals that had been established earlier was to develop an operating budget for the year. Developing the budget is a task that MCDA would like to accomplish before the next meeting, which is March 5. Joella presented an update of the Strategic Plan to Ron Harriman. This update will give Ron an idea of the proposed projects discussed in earlier meetings. Some of the considerations include sale of funding directory on CDs; looking for technical assistance money from OCD to fund workshops, training seminars, etc.; expenses associated with printing of annual report, MMA contract, etc.
5. CALENDAR FOR 2004 – Update:
Next Meeting: March 5, 2004 @ 10:00 a.m. at Northern Maine Development Commission, in Caribou
April 12, 2004 in conjunction with CD Day at the Legislature in Augusta (Time TBA)
May?, 2004 in conjunction with CDBG Implementation Day in Augusta (TBA)
June 11, 2004 @ 10:00 a.m. in Fort Fairfield
August 15, 2004 in conjunction with CD Appreciation Day in Augusta (TBA)
September, 2004 – joint meeting with Maine Association of Planners (TBA)
October, 2004 – Annual Meeting at MMA Convention
The meeting adjourned at 1:00 p.m.
Joella R. McBreairty